I am sure many of you have heard of Coconut Water, as it seems to be the latest craze in the natural health world. If you haven’t, this is definitely something you need to try!
While Coconut Water seems to be relatively new to the United States, people in Latin America and Southeast Asia have been enjoying the benefits of this amazing Mother Nature Cocktail for hundreds of years. The list below shows just a few of the health benefits from drinking coconut water.
- 569mg Potassium: This is greater than one banana and equal to 15 regular sports drinks.
- 5 Essential Electrolytes: Sodium, magnesium, calcium, potassium, phosphorus.
- Helps you lose fat: ZERO fat, ZERO cholesterol and ZERO added sugar.
- The Ultimate Hydration Drink: Supports rapid hydration.
- Natural: Coconut water has been used as an intravenous fluid and saved lives
- Low Acid: Lower acidity than sports drinks and juices, with a pH of just 5.
- Is great for healthy skin: It helps hydrate your skin but can also be used topically to cure acne scars and other types of blemishes.(1)
There are several different brands of coconut water, but my favorite is Zico. We purchase Zico at our local Trader Joe’s grocery shop. Regular coconut water tastes pretty good, but I usually get chocolate flavored because it is absolutely to die for!
The ingredients for ZICO Pure Premium Coconut Water Chocolate Flavor includes: 100% natural coconut water from concentrate, cane sugar, coconut cream, cocoa, vanilla, Carrageenan. It contains 110 calories, 160mg sodium, 680mg potassium and 18g sugar with Vitamin A, Iron, Phosphorus, and Magnesium. I usually drink this after working out to replenish my electrolytes. It is a fantastic alternative to other sports drinks such as Gatorade or Propel.
If you drink pure coconut water without any flavoring, you can expect the ingredients and breakdown to be a little different. Zico Natural ingredients include 100% natural coconut water from concentrate and natural flavors. It contains 60 calories, 160mg sodium, 569mg potassium, and 12g sugar. So, if you don’t have a sweet tooth like me, this option is definitely a bit more healthy for you!
Other brands on the market include:
If anyone has tried any of the other brands I would love to hear feedback on what you thought of them! As far as flavors go, I have only tried Natural, Chocolate, and Mango. I thought Mango tasted absolutely terrible, but I can’t remember which brand I was drinking, although I know it wasn’t Zico.
This is definitely a drink you should consider swapping your sports drink or pop out for. Your body will thank you for it, and you will begin to feel the benefits very quickly.
Happy Coconut Drinking!